Customize your clothing with Tonia Weber
Attention future fashion designers, This course is for fashion-savvy teens who want to Alter pre-existing clothing. Get Started Here
In this week long course, students get personalized instruction from Ottawa’s most fascinating designer, Tonia Weber.
Learn various sewing techniques:
- Sewing machine basics
- Tools and terminology
- Looking at changing an already existing garment,
- What to look for in a fabric and right choice to be made for outcome of garment.
- Stitches: regular straight-stitch, stay-stitch, top-stitch, edge-stitch, basting, stitch-in-the-ditch
- Seam finishes: serging, zig-zaging
- Installing elastic, waistbands, buttons, pockets, etc.
- Hemming a garment properly
- Selecting proper needle to use for fabric in sewing machine
- Understanding thread tension and how to adjust it
- Where to cut garment
- Hand sewing
- Heat transfers
- Hand painting
- And more!
Supply list to bring:
- General sewing kit
- Sewing machine
- Good fabric scissors
Course duration: Tuesday, July 3rd to Friday July 6th
Prerequisite: Interest in designing and sewing!
Cost: $257.64 hst included
Fabric and supplies: To be provided by student during field trip.
- Tuesday - Show students examples and talk about how samples were altered. Off to Value village where the student can pick out 2 to 3 garments they would like to alter. We will discuss how to alter them and what is possible with the garments that they have chosen
- Wednesday - Start planning out how to alter garments. Making sure we have all the supplies needed to alter garment. Eg zipper, elastic. A brief discussion about sewing machines. Start altering garments.
- Thursday: Working on garments, making any changes on the way.
- Friday: Finishing all projects, fashion show for parents.