Attention future fashion designers! This course is for fashion-savvy teens who want to get into the world of fashion. Get Started Here
Students will make 2 of 3 projects and can make the last one if they have time. Class will focus on a gathered skirt, a simple top, then both can be combined to make a dress.
Projects: A Gathered Skirt, Basic top, and if time permits a Fun dress
Learn various sewing techniques:
- Sewing-machine basics
- Tools and terminology
- Stitches: regular straight-stitch, stay-stitch, top-stitch, edge-stitch, basting, stitch-in-the-ditch
- Seam finishes: serging, zigzag, over-edge zigzag
- What to look for in a fabric, right choice, and fabric prep
- Preparing, marking, and cutting fabric
- Reading a pattern
- Installing elastic, waistbands, buttons, Pockets
- Hemming a garment properly
- Selecting proper needle to use for fabric in sewing machine.
- Understanding thread tension and how to adjust.
- Tracing out a pattern and sizing
- General sewing kit.
- Sewing machine
- Good Fabric scissors
Course duration: 9am-4pm July 30 - August 3
Prerequisite: Interest in designing and sewing!
Cost: $322.05 hst included
Fabric and supplies: To be provided by student during field trip
- Monday - Fabricland- pick out fabric and purchase all material for the week
- Tuesday -Trace out pattern, cut and mark pattern on fabric. Students are encouraged to make a minor change to the pattern. Eg. Length, layering, wider waistband. Start sewing.
- Wednesday - Finish up first project and cut out second project. Make any minor changes to pattern.
- Thursday - Start sewing second project.
- Friday - Finish all projects. Fashion show for parents.